Speaking of Care

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Grasshoppers and Robins


What is it thinking?

The other day, I took Dad outside to read some poems.  A friend has just given me one of Mary Oliver's collections, and I thought maybe he would find her descriptions of nature peaceful.  It seemed fitting to start with one of my favorites, The Summer Day. I had always been moved by the last line, which asks, "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one and precious life?"  I was planning on focusing on that with Dad, but as I read the poem out loud I was drawn to a line from the beginning.  Mary writes, "Who made the grasshopper?  This grasshopper, I mean- the one who has flung herself out of the grass, the one who is eating sugar out of my hand..."  Thinking so much about the end of life has made me revisit the beginning as well, and this line made me pause. 

I've never had a solid answer to the question Where Did We Come From?  On a basic level, I believe in supernovas and evolution and the scientists' explanations.  But on days when that sounds too harsh and technical, I can't help wondering if there's a little...more.  Smelling the early blooms in spring, hearing a newborn cry for the first time or feeling true love in somebody's eyes are such indescribable moments that I want to think there's something greater.  On the flip side, sickness and natural disasters are so hard to justify.  Science can tell me that grasshoppers are part of the Melanoplus Differentialis species, which is great for an insect in a book, but looking at a specific insect landing on your arm and seeing its little beady eyes and delicate antennae makes you look at it differently.  Is there something else that adds to its beauty, its magic, its charm?  The man sitting next to me always denounced that idea as inexplicable fluff, but here he was yelling about getting to Hollister, unable to move much more than his left hand, looking blankly right through my eyes, and I was having a very hard time explaining that to myself. 

Later that evening, I was sitting on the patio with a glass of wine reading The Long Goodbye.  It's a memoir by Meghan O'Rourke about the time leading up to and following her mother's death from cancer, and the book has been a valuable resource for me to find some congruity and understanding about the process.  I was a little more than halfway through, and at that point Meghan was struggling to get back into a normal routine and grappling with where her thoughts are taking her.  That night I read,
     
     "And as I sat, a robin hopped toward me.  Its red breast was shiny, and it had bright, bold eyes.  And I thought: OK, so, resurrection; I don't know.  But what in the world- in the universe- made this creature?  Can evolution account for the mystery of life?  As a theory, it doesn't go as far as I'd like toward explaining the world....I watched it for some time, half wondering if in any way it could be my mother.  What MADE you, robin? my mind practically shouted....How could I disregard the bubbly, foolish sense of beauty I felt looking at it?  And: How could  I reconcile that with the pain my mother endured before she died?"

Sitting on the porch that night, I saw a bird in the tree above me.  As I took in the vibrant yellow of its wings and the ease with which it floated from branch to branch, I again came back to the confusion, apathy, alienation, frustration, terror and sadness that I see on Dad's face every time I visit.  On a bad day, I would use the word "suffering".  In what world that can be filled with so much magic and beauty is it okay for pain and disease to endure with such vehemence?  And when it does come to and end...then what?

1 comment:

  1. My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 47 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete