Speaking of Care

Thursday, September 27, 2012

100 Days

It's been 14 weeks...or three months...or 100 days since my father died in the early morning hours of June 19th, 2012.  I don't know how the time has passed but somehow it must  have, because September is almost over and the leaves are starting to change and the cards of condolence stopped coming a long time ago and I find myself pretending to function on a somewhat very normal level.  And yet the loss is part of my every moment, my every thought.  Our closeness, and now the absence of that, has been more painful than I could ever had prepared for. 

In the last 100 days I have:

Cried.  In yoga.  At the bar.  At home.  On the phone.  In therapy.  In grief counseling.  In the swimming pool.  In bed.  By myself.  With friends.  In the car.  In Starbucks.  At work.  At Ravinia.  In the grocery store.  Pretty much anywhere has been fair game. 

Spent a lot of money on chair massages.  Spent a lot of money at the bar.  Raised over $1,300 for the Alzheimer's Association. 

Gone out of my way to seek out hugs and touch. 

Had panic attacks.  On the El.  In a restaurant.  At work.  In yoga.  On the streets of Downtown Evanston.  In the car.  Taken a lot of Xanax.  Taken a lot of Tylenol PM.  Taken a lot of anti-depressants. 

Been told by a psychiatrist that I'm doing just fine.  Been told by an internist that my strange symptoms (why did my arm go numb for three hours?) are all not unusual, my labs are normal so I shouldn't worry. 

Listened to a lot of Billie Holiday.  Listened to a lot of Wilco.  Listened to a lot of Beethoven.  Listened to a lot of Leonard Cohen.  Listened to a lot of Regina Spektor.  Listened to a lot of Pearl Jam.

Listened to people tell me everything they think will help: "You should drink a lot of water."  "It must be such a relief."  "You really need to get back into dating."  "He's in a better place now."  "I had a dog for a week then had to get rid of her, so I understand what you're going through."  "So you're okay now, right?" 

Been so thankful for the people who may not know what to say, but were willing to listen to me.  Been so thankful for the incredible support of my friends and the community. 

Seriously considered quitting my job.  Realized that was a seriously dumb idea. 

Slept more than I thought was possible.  Stayed awake more than I thought was possible. 

Hurt more than I thought was possible. 

I have not:

Picked up Dad's stuff from the nursing home.  They packed everything up and put it in storage, with the understanding that I can come get it whenever I'm ready.  I'm not ready. 

Picked up his ashes from the Cremation Society.  A dear friend of mine painted the wine bottle "urn" I'm planning on using...but I haven't gone to get it filled yet. 

Closed his Mastercard account.  I'm so used to having the card in my wallet.  I haven't used it, the account balance is zero, the bank accounts are all closed...but that silver card looks so comfortable in my wallet.  I realize that I could close the account and keep the card.  This is an obsolete idea. 

Gone to the beach.  All summer.  I love the beach.  I couldn't go. 

Had a memorial service- it seemed way too overwhelming.  I am slowly working towards one, after attending a dear friend's mother's service last week. 

Gone more than 20 minutes without thinking about him.  The car, work, the apartment at night, are the worst.  You think I'm talking to you?  You think you see me laughing?  Chances are, I'm thinking about him.  Or the lack of him.  Or my loneliness. 

And I am not alone.  I know this.  I have the best friends, co-workers, community a gal could ask for.  But something has been missing for the past 100 days, and it's irreplaceable. 

I am not thinking about the next 100 days.  I am not thinking about tomorrow.  I am thinking about getting through tonight.  It's not "One day at a time."  It's smaller than that- the next  half hour, this moment.  I want to cherish this moment.  I want to be happy.  I want to smile, really smile again. 

I want to love again.  I want to be loved again. 




 

2 comments:

  1. My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 47 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete