Speaking of Care

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Reading


Maybe 18 months?  I hope it was
 a picture book...
I loved books growing up.  My favorites- Goodnight Moon, Where the Wild Things Are, Owl at Home, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Frog and Toad, Dr. Suess- I now think of as classics and get a little nostalgic every time I see them in the bookstore.  When I got a little older, I could easily get lost following Amelia Bedila's escapades, imagining I lived in the hotel with Eloise or creating my Choose Your Own Adventure future.  I later got sucked into the Sweet Valley Twins and Babysitter's Club series, but even those had some important messages- I learned about diabetes from Stacy in Babysitter's Club, and that it was okay to be smart like Elizabeth in Sweet Valley Twins.  In high school I loved Brave New World, Catcher in the Rye, Jane Eyre, The Great Gatsby and other "required reading" and thought it was cool to become part of this mysterious culture of people who had read and could talk about "those books."  These days I still love to read, but don't take the time to indulge nearly as often as I wished I did. 
A few weeks ago I had dinner with friends who have a two-year-old daughter.  She was showing me her favorite toys and books, then picked up a 200 page hardcover and began flipping through it.  "Actually, that's mine," her father told me.  "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane- it's a children's book but I just started it and I love it!"  I glanced at the front cover, saw a picture of a stuffed bunny walking towards the door of a big house, and gave my friend a questioning look.   He started telling me about how this rabbit named Edward, who is actually porcelain, goes through a wild ride of adventures and learns some valuable lessons along the way.  The more he told me, the more enthralled I became, and I decided that if this college-educated, world-traveling friend of mine loved it so much I should read it for myself. 

The next day I went to the children's section of the library and told the librarian I couldn't remember the exact name but I was looking for something like, "the amazing journey of...".  She immediately smiled and led me to the book.  Still a little skeptical, I sat down to look at the first few chapters that night...and ended up reading the first 100 pages.  Spoiler Alert: I'm Going To Tell You Some Plot Here!!!  Okay.  This rabbit, who comes from a well-to-do home, has a really easy life but hasn't learned how to love.  Due to circumstances  beyond his control (which, for a porcelain rabbit, would be almost anything), he gets thrown off a boat, kicked off a train, made fun of by snobby porcelain dolls, turned into a puppet, buried for months in a garbage dump, and in an assortment of other challenging situations.  I won't ruin the end, but suffice it to say I finished it the next night and went to sleep happy.  It was a beautiful story with serious lessons children of all ages could benefit from.

A close friend of mine is a school librarian, and is always telling me of this JV series or that young adult book that she read and loved.  But I seemed to be stuck in reading things that were Valuable or Applicable or Age Appropriate.  Now, after remembering the thrill and satisfaction of being immersed in a simple story that doesn't have to be plausible or practical, I may just take her next recommendation.  Lemony Skicket, anyone?

2 comments:

  1. I love what we used to slightingly call "kiddy lit." It is the best!!! There is no such thing as a story for children--where a good story is concerned, we are all children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 47 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete