Speaking of Care

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Plans

I recently had dinner plans with a dear friend of mine- we were long overdue for some serious Girl Time catch-up and we planned it several weeks beforehand.  On the day we were supposed to go out, I got an e-mail from her saying that she was exhausted and would be possible to reschedule for the following evening.  This was certainly understandable, as she had been traveling a lot and was dealing with a lot at the time.  It was the way she phrased it, however, that struck me as gracious and made me appreciate our friendship even more.  Instead of just saying that she was tired and didn't feel like going out, she wrote that she wanted to be as "fresh and attentive as possible" for our get-together, so that she could fully participate in sharing the evening. 
While this highlights the generous and giving nature of my friend, it also made me appreciate the difference in her attitude.  She needed to take care of herself first, so that she would be better able to give and share.  She wanted to address her own needs, so that she could be more attentive to mine.  It wasn't that she would enjoy the evening more if she was rested, it was that our interaction would be stronger and we both would benefit more.  Such a beautiful and refreshing sentiment and outlook to have. 

I'm often told that you can't take care of others until you take care of yourself first.  I'm learning this comes in many forms of giving- to family, friends, neighbors, the community.  When you're rested and healthy, it comes through in your smile, actions, and words.  Challenges are more manageable, and opportunities are more appealing. It's easier to give to others when your own needs are met.  Putting yourself first isn't always easy, but in the end it's more beneficial to everyone.
My friend and I did go out the next evening, when we were both feeling better and able to connect.  To quote one of my favorite movies, it was "practically perfect in every way."

No comments:

Post a Comment